Root Beer Braised
Serves: 6 – 8
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 tsp. dried lemon peel
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. dried mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp.salt
- 1/2 tsp.pepper
- 2 lbs. Farmland® Fresh Pork Cheek Meat, silver skin removed and cut into 1 1/2×2-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Sweet yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups root beer
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1 tbsp. molasses
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- Combine flour, cayenne, lemon peel, paprika, mustard powder, salt and pepper; toss pork cubes to coat.
- Heat oil in 4-quart stock pot; brown pork cubes and set aside. Add onion to pot; sauté until tender and browned. Stir in 1/2 cup root beer to help remove fond from bottom of pot.
- Add pork back to pot along with remaining 1 1/2 cups rootbeer and remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours until tender.
- Remove meat; keep warm. Continue cooking sauce, uncovered, until reduced to thick syrupy glaze. Toss meat in glaze before serving.
To order, contact your Smithfield Farmland sales representative.